First Deaf Tai Chi Chuan Student??

Necromander

First Deaf Tai Chi Chuan Student??

Post by Necromander »

Hi,

I am a Deaf student taking Tai Chi Chuan here at San Antonio and I beleive that I am the first deaf student to take this class. I have learned 38/103 movements and I want to go all the way!!! If you are in the San Antonio Area, Let me know :-D
laopei

Post by laopei »

Hello necromander:
Congratulations. Are you a student at san Antonio College? If so, you are very lucky: Ms. Jackie Crow is an excellent teacher who manages to teach Traditional yang Style tai Chi Chuan in a College setting without diluting it or compromising its integrity. She is one of the "few" teaching the "long Form" at a College. Keep up your studies and may be you can share with us some of the ways Jackie is able to convey the form in non-verbal ways to you.
(If Jackie is not your teacher I apologize for my enthusiasm).
Good luck
Horacio Lopez
Necromander

Post by Necromander »

yes, i have Ms.Crow at St.Phillips College. I was at practice last saturday and was freezing. Thanks for loaning me that jacket Mr. Lopez.

Necromander
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Welcome Necromander! Question: do you use American sign language? I'm curious as to what the situation in signing is as far as Tai Chi terminology. Has any of that been worked out?
Necromander

Post by Necromander »

Yes I use both english and ASL (American Sign Language) and I have an interpreter in my tai chi class at St.Phillips College, and in answer to your questions, there are some terms involving tai chi that uses very specific signs. (Single Whip, Crossing Hands, White Crane Spreads it's wings, and several other terms for example) I just wish Horacio Lopez was beardless so i could read his lips easier, but I have Ms. Crow next to him translating what Mr. Lopez is saying. Mr. Lopez is using some body language to assist in some warm up techniques and he has been very helpful in that area. I also don't get offended when someone tries to use sign language with me, I just help correct their errors. Hmm that's an interesting concept.

"Tai Chi is like American Sign Language, if the learner of ASL makes a mistake, the deaf person teaching the language corrects the mistake. If you make a mistake in the Tai Chi Movement, your instructor helps corrects the mistake"

Abel "Necromander" Lopez

[This message has been edited by Necromander (edited 03-15-2002).]