Yang Cheng Fu Tanbien early and late.

Bradeos Graphon

Post by Bradeos Graphon »

It does look like Yang style in the Grasp Bird's Tail - Single Whip transitions, as well in the White Crane - Brush Knee transitions, but the directions are a little different. It reminds me somewhat of Yang Sau-chung's video, and there are things that look like they are right out of Wu Jianquan style. Idiosyncratic as it is, it looks better to me than Wu Tunan's forms that I've seen.
evkotaiji

Post by evkotaiji »

This is not really a reply but a request for information about the old Yang long form which is described in the book
Yang Shi taiji chang quan by Sun Nanxin?
published by the Beijing Sport University
ISBN 7810038648
I would like to get a copy of that book. Any info will be appreciated. This form is more than twice as long as the common 85.
Thanks
Evert
Audi

Post by Audi »

Greetings all,

I think I can guess some of the reasoning behind the previous comments; however, to me, this performance seems squarely within the mainstream of what I would call Yang Style. There are many, many details that differ from what the Association teaches; but nonetheless, I find just about everything recognizable and familiar.

What I do find interesting is the many places where details do not match our form “principles.” By form principles, I do not mean fundamental Tai Chi principles that should, at least theoretically apply to all forms of practice and application, but rather principles that dictate how to do postures within the form. What I find interesting is not whether we should do this or that, but why we should do this or that. If we practice fast, we give up some of the advantage of practicing slowly. If we practice slowly, we give up some of the advantage of practicing fast. If we do both, we get a different mix of advantages and disadvantages. For me the question is, why do it that particular way?

Take care,
Audi
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi all,

From this YouTube link, it appears that Yang Zhenji does Single Whip with the right arm even lower than what we were discussing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6XbAfsybPs

Take care,
Audi