Breaking Stuff With My Limited Power (Video)

Taichikid

Breaking Stuff With My Limited Power (Video)

Post by Taichikid »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vgEakwxkoA

that is a video where I try to apply what i have learned with tai chi to break stuff. I also have a video from along time ago of me doing push hands before I had found a good instructor now I have a very good teacher and I have imporved alot. Please leave me comments on the video or on here on what you think of the video.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi TCK,

It looks like you're dying for a reply since you double posted.
You look like you're having good progress in your training and are likely very smart. How long have you trained in TaiChi and what other styles did you train?

I see in your tuishou that you have some good feeling for taiji. I think in future when you are more relaxed you will be very powerfull.

I suggest that you try "total give up" for 6 months or a year in your tuishou practice. Don't worry about getting moved in fixed step training. This will force you to use change and avoid more and will increase your relax - allowing you to be more flexible and neutralize far better.

Also, try to keep root during push hands with only a shoulder length bow stance. This will help you to change your fundamental energy that you have developed through standing meditation into dynamic taiji energy. It will force you to align you body and originate everything from the waist. It will force you to change and rely on listening rather that rely purely on power and fundamental energy based root.

Clearly I am just one guy so take my words for whatever you want. My intentions are good and I see lots of potential in what you have shown. Best wishes!

www.dongfangtaiji.com
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi TCK,

Nice video. I particular liked the moments at time index 1:36 and 1:39; however, it would be interesting to see what you could do without lifting your palm heel to store more energy.

The push hands also looked nice, but it would be even better to see some action with your opponent connecting with your elbows and torso and with your left arm in wardoff and your right palm controlling his movement.

Putting the two together, it would also be nice to see some power moves and push hands with your shoulders square to the front.

Take care,
Audi
Taichikid

Post by Taichikid »

thanks for the advice alot of that video was old I started studying under Alwin Leung. Since then I gave up the simplified 24 form, and went to the long form, I have learned about half the first set, and I ran out of money so Im waiting for some more money to learn the next half, I have alot to learn and my sifu is absolutely amazing, he has helped me grow a lot since that video. He won’t let me practice push hands because my first Tai Chi teacher didn’t make me learn the 10 rules. So I had to give up all previous experience to grow and I feel like ive grown a lot. I actually feel that this form is the way it was supposed to be. the moves have intent with no intent, and its hard to grasp the whole relax completely thing when someone is pushing on me or affecting my intention, I have been told I have to much power and need to stop trying to use power and use empty force to use tai chi, however im still having trouble. One practice I made up on my own is to try to break the concrete without moving my hand off of it. When I concentrate real hard on it I feel the concrete in its entirety and I can feel the space around the concrete bend but it won’t break. Also I have a question about leading by the waist is that implying that the movements follow the waist because sometimes it seems like the movement from the waist is just really the mind controlling the movement of the hands and feet at the same time and by concentrating on the waist it makes it easier?
To sum up my questions?

1. What do you think about what I can do to stop tensing when I feel any kind of force on me?
2. What about breaking the concrete without moving my hand, and without applying any physical strength?
3. Is the idea behind every move generated from the waist just to make the process of controlling both the movements of the lower and upper at the same time easier? Is it away to do it without using the mind to do it because its hard to split the intention and control both ?
4. Has anyone ever heard of sky form?
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi TCK,

Here is a link to a really good article my great grand teacher (3 generations ago), Li Ya Xuan. Reading this will give you alot of information and alot to think about.

http://qi-journal.com/Taiji.asp?-token. ... 0Ya%20Xuan

I would really like to see a video of your progress now if that was a long time ago. As I said I think you have a lot of potential.

For your questions:

1. Keep doing standing meditaion, practice lots of Forms and be mindful of that problem when you practice Push Hands. Thats why I suggest you try using "give up" for a while and dont be concerned about getting moved a little. eventually you will be able to keep root in a relaxed way.

2. The concrete will probably never attack you. Taiji is not really for use with inanimate objects because it relys on both your nervous system and your understanding of your partner's. It is dynamic and alive.
Through practicing Push Hands you will learn "what is hard", "what is soft" and find the balance in your power. Forms and Standing are improtant for this also because you will get more relaxed and let your power come out correctly.

3. Movement in all directions is literally initiated from the waist, rooted to the heel and guided by the mind and spirit. Try to start each motion from the waist. Rotation on the vertical axis guides movements laterally. Slightly tilting like a scale and using the hips and spine guides the limb movements vertically. So combining these directions of the waist gives the arms and legs momentum to carry out each motion - in both Forms and Push Hands. Even when you step - send out your hips first.
4. We don't have Sky Form in my lineage.

Taiji really requires time with a good teacher and it takes time to find one. Keep practicing what you know and read the TaiChi Classics over and over. I have compiled some links to Classics on the internet here:

http://dongfangtaiji.com/forum/index.ph ... 170f0a9104 93&board=6.0

Also, here's a video of my teacher's teacher, Lin Mo Gen giving a tuishou demonstration:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcYruK-G ... re=related

Have Fun!

[This message has been edited by Jamie (edited 11-29-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Jamie (edited 11-29-2008).]