Sword, and Saber tape.

sabre, sword, spear, etc
lalsup

Sword, and Saber tape.

Post by lalsup »

I was told that Master Yang Jun was working on a Saber and Sword production. If this is true, when can we hope to get access?

Thanks in advance.

LeRoy Alsup
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

There are tapes for yang style sword and sabre by Yang Jwinw Ming. Very high quality Forms, in case you're interested.
lalsup

Post by lalsup »

Thank!

How close are they to what is being presented by Master Yang Jun?
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Just wondering...
Who is Dr. Yang Jwing Ming? How is he, or is he, related to the Yang family represented here?
I have seen his work, have some of his books, but have no idea how he fits in with Yang family TCC. His name does not appear on the Yang family tree that I have.
I know he also writes books about other styles. I am currently waiting on delivery of his "Tai Chi Secrets of the Wu Style" book, and several others.
I have heard some people speak highly of him, others seem to denigrate him.
Anyone know?
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

Well, Dr Yang is NOT part of the yang family, even though he has the same last name. No relation at all.

He is a very acomplished martial arts master from taiwan nor residing in Boston MA.

He teaches Shaolin White Crane, Longfist and Yang Style Taijiquan. He is also an expert in chi na.

He has written over 59 books on chinese martial arts, and a lot of in depth books related to yang taijiquan.

His yang style comes from the lineage of Yang Ban Hou, chen fu's uncle. Its a little different from the one the yang jun teaches, although it has the same basics and content. The postures are a little different thats all, but they're really close.

I learned Yang Style from him, and I come to boston at least once a year to continue to study from him.

Some people speak highly of him, some dont. In that sense he is no different from any other martial arts teacher. This is something they all have to deal with. Everybody is entilted to an opinion, but those who have study his work have realized he is a great teacher with a lot of knowledge.

He is also firend with Master Yang zheng Duo and they have a really good relationship. Marter Yang Zheng Duo did some callygraphy for Dr. Yang's book on Yang Style.

Among his many publications are videos and books on taiji sword and broadsword, Thats why I named him in this thread.

I hope this helps!!!!
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Rvc_ve,
Thank you for the clarification.
I have read a couple of Dr. Yang Jwing Ming's books, and have liked them. I have heard of his Chin Na experience through my instructor, who has had Dr. Yang Jwing Ming come in for seminars but that was before I began to train with him.
I had no idea, however, who he was.
As I said, I'm waiting now for delivery of his book on Wu style. I am curious to see how close he comes to what I have learned from Sifu Eddie and his family.
I also purchased of his books on Chin Na (can't recall the title right now), one on Tai Chi Martial Applications and Tai Chi Secrets of the Yang Style and am waiting for delivery on those.
I have read a couple of his Qigong books but not any of his T'ai Chi or Chin Na books.
Yet.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Actually I think they have met but are not well aquainted. If memory serves me right, it was a bit of an awkward moment, because he used Yang Zhenduo's calligraphy without permission. Yang Zhenduo did not mention it, which is characteristic of him.
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JerryKarin:
If memory serves me right, it was a bit of an awkward moment, because he used Yang Zhenduo's calligraphy without permission. Yang Zhenduo did not mention it, which is characteristic of him.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! My bad then! I'm sorry I brought it up. I don want to create any misunderstandings. I just related what I've heard. And I sure that the have already worked out any missunderstanding of their own, so I guess its in the past.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

As well, the "Secrets of Wu style" that Yang Jwing-ming has translated and published have been in the public domain since the 1930s when Wu Kung-tsao published his book "Wu Chia T'ai Chi Ch'uan" otherwise known as "The Gold Book." YJM's book was published without permission of the Wu family (the current head of the family, Wu Ta-hsin Lao Shih, is Wu Kung-tsao's son), who characteristically have also not pursued legal action, at least not yet.

[This message has been edited by Polaris (edited 12-24-2003).]
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

Well... Legal actions, copyrights and Lawsuits should stay beyond the scope of what the discussion is about, we should get back to taijiquan right?
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

There is no question that legally Yang Jwing-ming is in the clear. There is no copyright agreement between the US and China. These are questions of etiquette only, and clearly the Yangs and the Wu's are big enough to forget about it. The only reason I mentioned it was the irony of a previous post. Yang Jwing-ming has made a lot of nice contributions to our knowledge in the western world so let's let him off the hook.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Agreed.

I've nothing against the guy, I think his books are nicely done, well designed and easy to read.

I'd known about his Wu style book for some time now, and I found it interesting that there are some etiquette issues in his relationship with the Yang family as well.

I've never met him, or seen any videos of him, so I've no idea of his level. And he certainly isn't the only person out there promoting T'ai Chi this way, Douglas Wile comes to mind. If it gets people interested in the art, more power to them!

Cheers,
P.
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

But...anyway, bacK to the ORIGINAL post; Sword?saber tapes? Yang jwing ming's are good; Doc Fai Wong's are good; both yang style teachers with great published material.

It would be great to have some from master Yang Jun. I've never seen his sword or sabre form performed by himself. I saw somebody who learned it from one of his students a long time ago. He was pretty good, but Its obviously not the same!!!
nash

Post by nash »

There are videos of the Yang Zhendou and Yang Jun explaining and demonstrating the sabre and sword forms.

http://www.uswushuacademy.com/catalog/Videos.htm

http://www.cmaod.org/Yangtaichi.html

Both as far as I can tell are the same. I only have the dvd shown on cmaod.org which I bought off ebay.
lalsup

Post by lalsup »

Thank!!

I will be getting each of these!!