Yang Family Hidden Form???

rogira

Yang Family Hidden Form???

Post by rogira »

What do you think about Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan [Yang Family Hidden Taijiquan]?
Wang Yen Nien openly teach this style of "Yang" Taijiquan (he says that it was passed down to Zhan Qin Lin from Yang Jian Hou).
1. Do you know the postures of this form?
2. What are the main differences between the traditional and the secret style?
3. It is posible that such form exist?
Michael

Post by Michael »

I have not seen it personally but it was described to me as "a combination of taiji and Monkey boxing. Really effective (combat style), but not taiji." I hope to observe a class soon so I can see for myself.

I'd be very interested in what other observers might have to say as well.
rogira

Post by rogira »

Some information on YMT is aviable on www.aymta.org and on www.grtc.org

When I watch the photos of the YMT it seems more a New Age dance rather than a martial art.
Are there any reasonable explanation of the existence of YMT? Is YMT really a secret or is a lie?
Wang Yen Nien is well known martial artist and is unprobable that the YMT isn't effective! Is possible that Zhan Qinlin or Wang Yennien invented the YMT?

I practice the Yang Cheng Fu style of Taijiquan in I love all about Zhan Zhuang and "traditional" Yang Taijiquan. See my webpage at www.geocities.com/igor_rakar/qi/taijiquan.htm (only in Slovenian languge).
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

I know a number of Wan Yan-nian's students and they are very good players. (Ken Leonard, are you out there?) The form they do does not look like dance to me. I also have a copy of a book by him which is very interesting. Wang was at one time closely associated with Zhen Manqing. Overall I have the greatest respect for Wang and his students.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

By the way thanks rogira for the links. They led to an address for my old friend Ken Leonard from Taiwan days. On the strength of that I looked around the web and even came up with a pic of Ken, who is an awesome player and during the 80's was the first non-Chinese to win an important martial arts competition in Taiwan. Here's Ken's pic:

rogira

Post by rogira »

JerryKarin, some students in the photos that practise YMT do it like a dance (see images of the YMT wokrshops: http://www.aymta.org/MichImages/GLH2.html ). All I read about Wang Yen Nien says that he is a great martial artists (maybe one of the best ever)!

Is the YMT (postures) form (you say that have a copy of the Wang Yen Nien book) similar to the Yang form? How looks the martial applications? Where can I get the book?
rogira

Post by rogira »

In my research of the lineage of the "secret" style (the original style of Yang Lu Chan that he not teach openly) I find that Raymond Cooper (Nganga Mfundishi Tolo-Naa) teach the secret style too (he learned from Hou Chi Kwang, who learned it from Yang Shou Hou).
Everybody knows if the forms of Raymond Cooper is the same of Wang Yen Nien or not?
Exist any other book on the "secret" Yang style (I have the two books of Wang Yen Nien)?