Reading Materials

Mr. Istopher

Reading Materials

Post by Mr. Istopher »

Hi All!

I was wondering if people will list their most prized resources for studying Taiji principles, theory, movements, etc. It would be useful to compile a list of some of the better works on the subject so that beginners and people interested in Taiji can find something accessible, and so that in case there are articles of perishable nature (on-line resources in particular, due to the volatile nature of info on the web) they can be downloaded and saved as hardcopy; in that way to minimize looking through material that is unfounded, suspect, or would take advantage of the novice.

If anyone would be interested in this endeavor, it can be done so on-line, in the forum, and can be commented on some of the more researched and skilled of us.

Right now, my only sources of study include Mr. Swaim's excellent translation of Fu Zhongwen's *Mastering Yang Style Taijiquan,* not that this book doesn't get it's fair share of praise already, and the Translated outline of Master Yang Zhenduo's verbal instruction on the instructional tapes produced by A Taste of China. And although I have many books, these are the most noteworthy for me at present.

And so I ask, what books and articles keep you reading and studying Taiji?
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Mr. Istopher:

Great idea! I hope you get support.

There are many books and other sources I would recommend, but, besides the two you have mentioned, almost all of them come with qualifications of some sort.

For general information on Taijiquan principles, I would add:

1. The T'ai Chi Boxing Chronicle by Kuo Lien-Ying. I am unclear about Kuo's precise lineage and all the aspects of his Kuang P'ing style, but most of what he says seems very good, even from the traditional Yang perspective.

2. On the web, I would recommend two articles by Zhang Yun, as long as one keeps in mind that he represents a different style. One is “Zhan, Nian, Lian, Sui--Four Important Skills for Push Hands and Fighting.” You can find it at http://www.geocities.com/ycgf/arti_znls.htm. The other article is “Taiji Thirteen Postures,” which can be found at http://www.geocities.com/ycgf/arti_znls.htm Both articles can be found along with other material I have not completely explored at http://www.geocities.com/ycgf/articles.htm

Zhang Yun seems to write in a very clear and non-partisan way, at least as seen from a traditional Yang perspective. The only material I have found so far that he discusses in detail and that might be controversial are his links between Taiji principles and traditional Chinese medical approaches, which I believe the Yang family has never dealt with much and maybe even has actively discouraged. Any clarification on this point from others would be welcome.

3. For good perspectives on the history of Taijiquan and some of the classic texts, I would recommend Lost T’ai-chi Classics form the Late Ch’ing Dynasty.

4. For overall information about Taijiquan, I would recommend Peter Lim’s website at http://web.singnet.com.sg/~limttk/

5. I almost forgot to mention the material on this website, which I hope everyone reads periodically. For Taiji principles in particular, I would recommend the material in the Twenty Character Motto and the Description of the Palm Methods.

More sources may come to mind later. Again, there are many I would recommend, but I do not have time now to explain my reservations, all of which do not necessarily relate to authenticity, correctness, etc.

Take care,
Audi

I removed some periods which made the links fail - Jerry

[This message has been edited by JerryKarin (edited 02-02-2002).]
Mr. Istopher

Post by Mr. Istopher »

Hello All,

This will be my only addition to this series of posts (which I hope will develop into something rich with information) which is not listing resource discoveries, and that is so that I can say, "Thank you," to Audi for that response and support and to Jerry for making those links accessible to everyone on the board through editing.

And also to spur everyone to do what they can to spread their knowledge and info.

Thanks again!