silk reeling

ELDER

silk reeling

Post by ELDER »

Does anyone knows if there is some kind of silk reeling training inside the Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan ?
gene

Post by gene »

I think I have heard Yang Zhenduo say st aeminars that the silk reeling concept is definitely part of the Yang form, but is not emphasized as it is in the Chen form - the concept of "peng" being instead a main emphasis of the Yang form at least at the beginning levels. I do know from personal experience that Bow Sim Mark of Boston, who is fairly famous and who teaches Yang style among other arts, does incorporate quite a bit of silk reeling exercises in her curriculum. I don't have her web address handy, but the school is the Chinese Wushu Research Institute. I would warn you, though, that she tends to be very eclectic in her approach and so may be using these exercises as a supplement to her program, rather than holding them out as traditional Yang training. The exercises are a lot of fun and can really get your palms tingling!

Gene
ELDER

Post by ELDER »

Would you give a description of this exercises ?
gene

Post by gene »

Describing the exercises verbally is hard to do. I will try to describe a couple of them. Example: Face your partner with feet shoulder width apart, toes aligned with your partner's toes. Raise arms to chest level, shoulders and elbows relaxed, each "holding ball" so that the backs of your hands face the backs of your partner's hands (not touching the backs of the partner's hands, though). Turn your waist slightly right as you draw your right palm toward you and extend your left hand. As you do this, your partner withdraws her right hand and extends her left hand. At the point of extension (do not lock your elbow) all four hands are in one line at the center. You now withdraw your left hand and circle it over your right hand as your waist turns left and you extend your right hand. As you do this, your partner extends her right and withdraws her left. Basically, you're tracing circles at the centerline, reeling silk as your partner "adheres" to your movements (and you adhere to your partner's movements) without actually touching. Every one in awhile, reverse directions. Another example: Face your partner, feet shoulder width apart, knees soft. Raise your arms to chest level, this time with palms facing each other, chest concave, back convex. Your partner does the same. Now gently and slowly, but feeling the energy inside your arms, move (expand) the palms apart until they are slightly outside the line of your body. Your partner does the same - moving in tandem, reeling silk, tracing each other's movements. Then move ("push") your palms toward each other until they are 4" - 6" apart. Then expand again. Continue this exercise as long as you wish - make sure you and your partner are in synch - head and neck erect, sink shoulders and elbows, keep lower back straight, breathe into the belly (sink chi to the dan tien), knees soft, weight falling into the ground (but not limply).

Hope this gives a glimpse.

Gene
ELDER

Post by ELDER »

Hi Gene,
Thanks a lot !

From your description it appears to be a Tui-Shou without touching the opponent, just feeling the energy and going along ...
gene

Post by gene »

Yes, agreed, except the focus should be on moving with a gentle, steady yet vibrant energy - don't "break the silk" as you reel it from the cocoon.

Gene