Taking extra classes with different Shifu..??

Greyphantom

Taking extra classes with different Shifu..??

Post by Greyphantom »

Hi there... just a question re ettiquette... I go to a class every sunday and my shifu is very good... but I also would like to attend a monthing class as well as the various seminars that I can attend... but these are with a different Shifr (in one case a student of GM Chen Zheng Lei and who is apparantly a friend of my Shifu) could anyone foresee a problem with me going to the extra classes or attending these seminars... Is it considered impolite or similar...???
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Why not ask your Sifu?
He will be the only one who will know how he will feel about it. Some get quite testy, others freely espouse getting all the training you can get.
Whether polite or not, and even if your Sifu does get testy about it, it's up to you in the long run whether to train with other teachers or even other styles.
You are, after all, the one coughing up the money for the training.
Has anyone ever paid you to take training with them? Me either, so it's your choice in the long run.
It's not like the old days, when you followed a Master around picking up his shoes to show that you were eager to learn, and if he decided to teach you then he would accept you for "training" and you became his servant to pay for your training, if not you moved on until you found someone who was willing.
Today, they take cash, check, Visa or Master Card.
YOU are the one who is paying the bill, you are the one with the choice of who to train with.
Greyphantom

Post by Greyphantom »

Good points Wushuer... thanks for clearing the air and for the advice... I am really happy with my current Shifu but feel that learning from a variety of sources will benefit my form.. cheers...
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Well...
I dunno about benefiting your form. Are these the same style of TCC, or different?
As I said, it's up to you who you train with.
Now, understand that there can be problems training too many differing styles at once.
Each style emphasizes a different aspect of TCC. Each Master has a different viewpoint on which aspects of TCC should be more prevelant in their forms.
Your overall training will likely be enhanced, IF you have your forms down allready in your fist style and are the kind of person who can easily assimilate another form.
I happen to know five differing hand forms, of differing lengths, of different styles, each which emphasizes a different aspect. I know them all well, though I'd have to say the segmented, or square, form of the Wu family is the one I'm the most familiar with. Three are from the Wu tradition, three from the Yang tradition. I also know many different variations on each and every one of these forms.
I won't even go into weapons forms, sheesh, too many.
I honestly believe that each form I've learned has helped out, overall, with my TCC in general. I see new things, find different applications because each form does the same move slightly differently but I can then go back to the other form and say, "Aha! I see it now" or sometimes I stand there saying, "What the he...."
But in the long run, I believe my TCC has improved slightly from each.
Now, if you are new to training, or you aren't the kind of person who can easily assimilate many different forms, then you will not be best served to train with a lot of people until you get to the point where the one you were learning before is allready well known to you.
So....
Be careful with this power you have to make the decision. Don't be too hasty, don't jump into the trap of "teacher shopping" in the hopes that one Master will teach you more, better or faster.
Odds are, they are only going to teach you "different" and that's doesn't always equal more, better or faster.
That said, it's still up to you.
Have fun, that's all that really matters in the long run anyway.
Good luck.
Greyphantom

Post by Greyphantom »

The same form of taiji Wushuer... not teacher shopping as such and would gladly learn different as long as I feel it benefits my form and my learning... both these teachers came to me with good recommendations... this "extra tuition" would be my limit though... thanks for your advice mate... take care...
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Glad to hear it's the same style!
I started thinking about that, right after I posted my first reply. That's why I came back.
As long as it's the same style, and you're not abandoning your first teacher to go the other one, I can't think of any inpoliteness you'd be perpetrating.
Enjoy.
Greyphantom

Post by Greyphantom »

Thanks Wushuer...