Bit of history on Yang Cheng Fu

nn

Bit of history on Yang Cheng Fu

Post by nn »

Hi all,
Although this is my very first post, I have read and learnt quite a lot of things on this forum, and look forward to reading more.

Interestingly, there is a discussion in another forum called EmptyFlower that asks some interesting question with regards to what we know about Yang Cheng Fu.

http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb ... ng;action= display;num=1112200112

I feel some individuals in this forum like Jerry, Louis, or Bob can bring a new perspective into the discussion, given that they may know a lot more than others.

PS. I neither agree or disagree with what has been posted in the link above. I wish to simply learn a little more everyday.

Thanks.
The Wandering Brit

Post by The Wandering Brit »

I am no expert but it seems to me that the guy who describes Cheng Man Ching as a 'little scribe' and uses some of Robert Smith's words from, I believe, Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods, to back his thrust, conveniently leaves out Smith's comments on Cheng, where he describes his martial prowess several times in no uncertain terms.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

This sort of thing, unattributed hearsay and anecdotes, is standard fare on emptyflower. File under 'My Teacher Is Better than Your Teacher!'.
Thomas Campbell

Post by Thomas Campbell »

It doesn't seem to me that the emptyFlower thread referenced by nn is saying anything about "my teacher is better than your teacher." The initial post, anyways, asks about the historical foundation for Yang Cheng Fu's reputation as a martial artist of the highest order, given the paucity of accounts of challenge matches or fights from sources outside of the YCF lineage. It's not an unreasonable question. It also asks about the specific training methods passed on by Yang Cheng Fu that prepared his students for self-defense or fighting, if that was/is their training goal.

Characterizing the queries as "unsupported anecdote and hearsay" ironically sheds light on Yang Cheng Fu's reputation, which is also largely based on "unsupported anecdote and hearsay."

Louis Swaim's translation, referenced in the discussion at emptyFlower, is masterful, probably the clearest translation with the most insightful notes for any primary taijiquan source material available in English. It's definitely on a par with another very good English translation, Tim Cartmell's rendition of Sun Lutang's book on taijiquan.
Bamenwubu

Post by Bamenwubu »

My mother told me a long time ago:
"If you can't say anything nice, shut your yap".
Words to live by and I often wish others had heard my mother, too.

I suppose I could go on there and try to chip away at the misconceptions.
But why?
I need to practice.

Some of these people seem sincere and are there to learn. Others are there to foment trouble.
I'll stay here. It's nice here and most of us speak close to the same language.
As I have no particular insights into YCF's life, not ever having met the man, it would be quite useless to try and put in my two cents about him, anyway. My conjectures are no more valid than anyone elses and everyone is entitled to his opinion and as far as I'm concerned has the right to express it too.
Right or wrong, at least these people are expressing their opinions. I'll leave them to it.

My only thoughts on YCF and his prowess I will post here, on his sons website, for all to see who could give a darn.
I don't know a flaming thing about YCF himself or his martial prowess, his training methods, or what he did or did not "know" about his families art. However, I have met YCF's great-grandson and I wouldn't try to cross hands with him on a bet. Not even for a REALLY big bet.
That's all I need to know about that.

"I'm not good yet, I need more practice"-
Yang Cheng Fu
If he could recognize this about himself, then I sure should about myself.
I'm going to practice now.

Bob