Titles

DrVince

Titles

Post by DrVince »

Hello everyone,
I've been doing a little digging to find titles associated with the "sifu" term. Here's what I found:

Si-Jo, Founder of the system
Si-Tai-Gung, Great grandmaster
Si-Gung, Grandmaster
Si-fu, Instructor
Si-Hing, more experienced students
To-Di, Student and self
Si-Di, less experienced student
Moon San, Beginners (At the door)

I know I'm missing many others, such as female terms. So if you can fill in, please do.

I also found "Yup Moon Dai Gee" (In door disciple) and "Yup Sut Dai Gee" (Inner chamber disciple) which I don't understand.

Vincent
César

Post by César »

Hi Vincent

Perhaps you may find this article interesting:
http://www.taijigongfu.com/tradition.html

take care

César
yslim

Post by yslim »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrVince:
<B>Hello everyone,
I've been doing a little digging to find titles associated with the "sifu" term. Here's what I found:

Si-Jo, Founder of the system
Si-Tai-Gung, Great grandmaster
Si-Gung, Grandmaster
Si-fu, Instructor
Si-Hing, more experienced students
To-Di, Student and self
Si-Di, less experienced student
Moon San, Beginners (At the door)

I know I'm missing many others, such as female terms. So if you can fill in, please do.

I also found "Yup Moon Dai Gee" (In door disciple) and "Yup Sut Dai Gee" (Inner chamber disciple) which I don't understand.

Vincent</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Vincent, and those who like to keep up the 'ranking ' of respect of the kind...
1,Si-Tai-Gung, generally use as the founding father same as Si-Jo, ( As Si-Tai-Jo is more formal as use for writing and Si-Jo use more or less for everyday speaking)
2, Si-Gung, Generally use in respect for your teacher's teacher. as "gung" generally reserved for "grandfather" or the same level of ranking as such.
3, Si Hing, the "hing' is only mean "older brother" as one born/come in before you. HE has more seniority but NOT EXPERIENCED IF HE IS A LAZY GUY,over you. and this term can only be use to address MALE ONLY.So
"more experienced students" can not apply if this student is FEMALE,unless....
4, To-Di,Student and self. This term is mean student but use for "self" is some what confusing.
5, Si-Di, same as Si-Hing can only use to address Male only. HE is "younger kungfu Brother".You have more "seniority" to command your respect.
6, Moon San, is not "Beginners (at the door)" "San" mean "student" for short in Chinese. "Moon (at the door)" mean "his teaching/at his place. If I studied 20 years with my teacher and now I am a teacher myself,I am still a "Moon-San" or student to my teacher.But I'm not a "beginner"
7, The "in door disciple" Is the student(s) chosen/accept to learn the teacher's skill. and hopefully can carry out this teaching. And the "Inner chamber disciple" is the one/few chosen among the indoor disciples to carry on the teacher's life-long skill/secrets. these secret are so secret trust no one and only place to teach it is in the "Inner Chamber" Like guarding all the gold in the Fort Knox. In short the inner chamber disciple get to learn more secret from the teacher orally and for the ears of those chosen one's only. Time changed so the meaning. But it's fun to hear these term again..thank you for your post.
Ciao and have a good day.
yslim
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Does anyone know what the corresponding titles are for fellow female students? It is mentioned that they are different, but not what they are.
Thanks.

Bob
mckwu

Post by mckwu »

MANDARIN CANTONESE ENGLISH
LaoShi LoSi Teacher
ShiFu SiFu Master/Teacher (Father Type Figure)
ShiMu SiMo Master's Wife
ShiXiong SiHing Senior Brother Classmate
ShiJie SiJeh Senior Sister Classmate
ShiDi SiDai Junior Brother Classmate
ShiMei SiMui Junior Sister Classmate
DaShiXiong DaiSiHing Most Senior Brother Classmate
DaShiJie DaiSiJeh Most Senior Sister Classmate
XiaoShiDi SiuSiDai Most Junior Brother Classmate
XiaoShiMei SiuSiMui Most Junior Sister Classmate
ZuShiYie JoSayYeh Founder of a System
ZuXian JoSeen Ancestor
ShiZu SiJo Great GrandMaster - Your Master's Master's Master
TaiShiZuMu TaiSiJoMo Great GrandMaster's Wife
ShiGong SiGung Male GrandMaster - Your Master's Master
ShiPo SiPo Female GrandMaster - Your Master's Master
ShiBo SiBak Your Master's Senior Brother or Sister Classmate
ShiShu SiSuk Your Master's Junior Brother or Sister Classmate
ShiBoGong SiBakGung GrandMaster's Senior Brother or Sister Classmate
ShiShuGong SiSukGong GrandMaster's Junior Brother or Sister Classmate
YieYie YehYeh GrandFather (also respectful term for elder generation male)
NaiNai MaMa (PoPo) GrandMother (also respectful term for elder generation female)
XianSheng SinSang Mister
TaiTai TaiTai Mrs
XiaoJie SiuJeh Miss
mckwu

Post by mckwu »

Sorry for the poor formatting...

Michael
yslim

Post by yslim »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mckwu:
<B>Sorry for the poor formatting...

Michael</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Michael

Well done. Appreicated and enjoy reading them with Mandarin and Cantonese together.
Ciao
yslim
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Thank you, Michael. Much appreciated.
I've been going around calling my fellow male classmates by the appropriate titles these last few days, one of the females was starting to wonder if I just didn't care enough to find out how to address the ladies properly.
Now, if I just knew how to pronounce these...
I'll take my best shot. At least I can no longer be accused of being a MCP.
Thanks.

Bob
mckwu

Post by mckwu »

yslim, Bob:

You're welcome! I'm glad you found the list useful.

You will have to get either Jerry, Audi, or Louis to weigh in on the correct pronounciations. The few phrases I know in Chinese are spoken with a heavy American accent and probably make little sense to a true speaker... Image

Respectfully,
Michael

[This message has been edited by mckwu (edited 01-31-2007).]
DrVince

Post by DrVince »

I'm making a poster to show these titles. But I'm a little lost for some people.

My Shifu is Sergio Arione, Montréal's center director. Which title, related to me, would have Fang Hong, Yang Ya Ning and Jason Yang?