Yang Jien Dian

T

Yang Jien Dian

Post by T »

Who is Yang Jien Dian and is he related to the Yang family?
T

Post by T »

The reason I ask is that I was recently reading something about Mian Chuan in reference to Yang Luchan and cotton fist and it was saying the top practitioners are: Yang Jien Dian and his son Yang Tian Gui. And apparently Yang Tian Gui is the head instructor of the Shanghai Mian Chuan association.

Although there was no suggestion of relation to the Yang family I was just wondering if they were or if it was just they coincidentally share the same name.
yslim

Post by yslim »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by T:
Who is Yang Jien Dian and is he related to the Yang family?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

Yang Jin Dian is son of Yang Lian Quan.
Yang Jin Dian is father of Yang Tian Gui.
They are all related to the same Yang Mianquan family,but they are not the founder of Mianquan. BUT not as same as Yang Taiji family,likewise they are not the founder of Taiji. .

Since mianquan is "cotton fist" They might share 'the steel wrap in cotton" expression.
That is only our novice impression that these two quans are the same. Thus the Yangs

Then again as family name goes, Chinese has a old say...500 years ago we are bothers (same parents).

Ciao
yslim
T

Post by T »

Thanks
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi T.

I think your question has been answered, but I just wanted to point out that the Yang Family Tree posted elsewhere on this site was meant to clear up misunderstandings and answer just this sort of question.

"Yang" means "poplar tree" and is a common surname. In theory, surnames indicate descent from a common clan, but Chinese history is so long that many connections have become lost, entangled, or reinvented and only the less common surnames are likely to be taken at face value as evidence of common descent. "Yang" is probably equivalent to an English name like Carter or Miller.

Take care,
Audi
T

Post by T »

Yes I know, (half my family is from China) but it is good to check. Also not to long ago the entire Shaohou line was not there so I like to check from time to time by asking

Thanks

[This message has been edited by T (edited 11-25-2007).]