Tai Chi in Chicago as a martial art?

onenoc

Tai Chi in Chicago as a martial art?

Post by onenoc »

Hello, I am looking for a master of good lineage who teaches classical Yang style Tai Chi Chuan as a martial art in Chicago, and hope to avoid the watered-down lineages which teach only forms and (sometimes not even) basic push hands. I will be attending the University of Chicago, so a master within twenty minutes by public transport of Hyde Park would be preferable, but I might be willing to venture further. I would also be interested in the other internal martial arts, but with a focus on application as well as health. Thanks!
gene

Post by gene »

Hi Onenoc:

I couldn't resist replying to your message, since I'm a U of C grad (B.A. 1982). A few months ago I was poking around the University website, and I saw that they now have an internal arts club there, offering taiji and push hands, and also (I think) bagua and xingyi. You might want to check the club out first. I've only been back to Hyde Park a few times since graduating, but my recollection is that 20 minutes from the Quad isn't likely to land you anyplace too appetizing.

I know there are some big names in the Greater Chicago area, such as Yang Yang who teaches Chen style in the 'burbs, but it can be kind of a pain to get downtown or to the suburbs from Hyde Park.

Good luck!

Gene
onenoc

Post by onenoc »

Hi Gene,

Thanks. This looks interesting, and the location is definitely ideal. It's easier to get downtown though these days, as they now have a shuttle to their business school from the main campus. But I definitely agree from looking at the maps that the suburbs are probably too far, especially Champaign. By the way, does anyone know the lineage background of the two sifus there, Bruce Moran and Ed Geirut? Their curriculum looks good (as far as my inexperienced eye can tell), and Bruce Moran seems to have real qualifications in the healing arts, which are also of some interest, so I'd just be interested if anyone has heard of either of these names before. Thanks.