Olimpic Tai Chi

Angela

Olimpic Tai Chi

Post by Angela »

I´m not sure if this topic is related with Tai Chi Theory and Principles, but at least Principles.

I would like to know the opinion of all you about the Olimpic Tai Chi. How do you fell it may help the spreading the art, and if there as any inconveniences related to this exposure of Tai Chi in the mundial scenery of Martial Arts.

thanks
Angela
jp shadow

Post by jp shadow »

I wasn't aware that there WAS "olympic tai chi".I hope so.I've always wanted to see taiji,bagua,xing-i or any contempory form of wushu become an olympic event.In my opinion,the only present event which comes close to the aesthetics and excitment of wushu(which does include standardized taiji forms)is rythmic gymnastics.The inclusion of taiji quan in the world olympics would not only act as a springboard into modern times and beyond,(i've always envisioned an ultra-contempory form of taiji quan being performed by crew members on the deck of a starship in the in the 23rd century traveling at the speed of light),but it would also present a colorful and artistic side of the martial arts
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

There are going to be demonstration events involving the Chinese martial arts at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, leading to their inclusion as medal events in following years. Whether "Wushu Taijiquan" or traditional Taijiquan is involved is being negotiated with the Chinese govt. as we speak. Among the negotiators are my teachers from the Wu family, and I wouldn't doubt if the Yang family were involved.

-P.