Lineage

Michael

Post by Michael »

I would agree with what Chris, Audi, Gu Ro Chen, and Polaris write.

Wu,

When one asks a teacher about where he learned his art, one does so with humility and respect. If genuine, no true teacher will have any problem with the question. I still think for one to ask to push hands or for him or her to "show" you his skill on day one is rude, whether the teacher is a real "master", a "pretender, or somewhere in between. Only my opinion. It is just that I have had rare encounters with these types who come into class. Some of these were just type A know it alls. Those I would refuse(As a senior student and a teacher myself. Those who waited, I would gladly show them or let them try anything pertaining to their level of developement.
WU

Post by WU »

Michael,
Learning an internal art like Tai Chi is a painfully long journey! One needs to be honest with each other. Otherwise, he won't be able to reach for the top of that “Mount Internals”. It means that he would think himself as a lifetime student, even though he may have many students or already has made a name for himself. Letting someone else touching the body is one of honest ways to continue learning or improving. This is a part of testing process too. For instance, you have just done your creation of wonderful product (or the greatest technique). First of all, you need to have an inspector to test it before you could claim it’s working or not. This inspector could be anyone in your life. His skills could also vary, if you would set yourself a higher standard, the inspector could at least have same skills as yourself. What about asking for another instructor or master to test you! There is no room for thinking about saving face or humiliation! This is my way for success!
I could tell you a true story about a friend who had studied under a famous master for thirty years of Tai Chi with lots of trust, but finally he admitted last year that he had wasted for that thirty years…because they were afraid of being tested! Please remember that the biggest failure you get from the testing now, the largest success you would get in the future!

[This message has been edited by WU (edited 08-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by WU (edited 08-09-2004).]
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi People,

I suggest that a teacher will be proud of their lineage as someone else stated. This is especially true of someone who is a disciple because of the commitment they have undertaken. When I first met my sifu I didn't even have to ask this - he volunteered it because he is proud of his teacher - I do the same. I even made a portfolio which I provide for students to look at. It includes a pictoral lineage chart, discipleship documentation, certification paper, and photos of our last 4 generations with their Shifus. I also encourage people to touch parts of my body or push with me. I demonstrate rooting and fa jing at request. I think a teacher should be open - those who are not may be hiding something.
I think a teacher should teach and oversee all levels of students. If you don't teach beginners how can you ensure their correct future growth in Taiji? Also, if someone pays to train with you - you owe them that much - not just to learn from a senior student all of the time.

Best to all,

Jamie
Michael

Post by Michael »

Jamie,

I agree.

Wu,

We disagree on very little. I just think some may not be that willing for a number of reasons, most are not "hiding" anything...some certainly are.
WU

Post by WU »

Michael,
Thanks for reply! Yes, there is an old Chinese saying, "A real master would know how much internal power you've got by a single touch". The gifted master would know everything about you by just staring at you! Happy touching!