can anione tell me the difference between whips

dragon x

can anione tell me the difference between whips

Post by dragon x »

Hello All,

i'm wonderin if anione knows the difference between single whip and diagonal single whip. i am actualli lookin for the application differences rather than hand positions. Which are obvious. 8) 8) 8)
....The Millstone moves but the mind does not .....
Mike Lucero

Re: can anione tell me the difference between whips

Post by Mike Lucero »

I think the only difference is the direction.
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings,

The differences among the instances of Single Whip are the transitions -- that is, what precedes and what follows each instance. The transitions change the way you shape each Single Whip, and in each case there are different application implications. The Yang form has ten instances of Single Whip. Of those, six follow a Grasp Sparrow's Tail sequence; three follow Cloud Hands; one (the oblique one) follows Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain. One Single Whip is followed by Lift Hands Upward; three are followed by Cloud Hands; two by High Pat on Horse; one by Wild Horse Parts Mane; one by Jade Maiden Threads Shuttle; and two by Squatting Single Whip. So, as you practice, notice for each instance of Single Whip how you enter into the form, and how you proceed from it to the next form.

Louis
dragon x

Post by dragon x »

Thanx to both Mike Lucero, and Louis Swaim, i appreciate both of you taking the time to answer my Question. :)

it is especially heart warming to be answered by sumone who i hold in high regard as Mr Swaim. who i have cum to realize has translated a book i'm about to buy one written by Yang Chen-Fu.
i will note the differences and try to see the changes as advised. 8)

Heping
....The Millstone moves but the mind does not .....