Traveling With One's Sword

sabre, sword, spear, etc
Jaime Marx

Traveling With One's Sword

Post by Jaime Marx »

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good carrying case for one's sword that can be checked through at an airport? For last year's seminar (when I purchased my sword) I got a cardboard box long enough to accomodate the sword, and it worked, but it was bulky and hard to carry through the airport, and not as crush-proof as I would like. Can anyone recommend somewhere that a hard-sided sword case with a carrying strap might be purchased? Or is there some other alternative I haven't thought of?
Thank you in advance!
Jaime
ken

Post by ken »

You may want to check out a store that carries hunting equipment. There are a number of hard-sided gun cases that could provide good protection for a sword when traveling. However, I would recommend bringing your sword with you when go to purchase a case --- some gun cases are long enough to accomodate a full length rifle and other are shorter to accomodate a shotgun that can break down into smaller pieces. Depending on the length of your sword, you might get by with a shorter case sized for a shotgun that can be broken down. The cost of such cases can range from as little as $15 to over $50, depending on the material and construction that is used.
Jaime Marx

Post by Jaime Marx »

Thank you Ken! I wouldn't have thought of that option. I will check it out.

Jaime
Jaime Marx

Post by Jaime Marx »

I was able to get a great sword case at a store that sold hunting rifles and equipment. It is hard-sided, has three secure latches that lock, and the interior is filled with quilted foam that would accomodate any variation in shape. There are many varieties of cases to be found at hunting stores, of which some could accomodate multiple swords and sabres. My thanks again to Ken for this tip!
ken

Post by ken »

Glad to hear the suggestion met your needs. Even for those that do not want a hard-sided case, there are very durable soft sided rifle cases that could be used for transporting a sword or saber when the risk of damage is less than that encountered on the airlines. Also, I am aware that some people use soft-sided cases for lacross sticks to carry their swords and sabers(there are cases for two sticks which will accommodate both a saber and a sword).