Types of Saber DAO

sabre, sword, spear, etc
ELDER

Types of Saber DAO

Post by ELDER »

I have noticed that there are more than one type of SABER (a hard blade and a flexible one), which one is really drived for Tai Chi Chuan ?
I also found two types of handle, one with a rounded guard (as in katana sword) and other with a cross stick guard (as an arabian sword).
As I am just starting to study DAO,so I really don't know how this differences should influence in the form exectution.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/products/

[This message has been edited by JerryKarin (edited 04-20-2002).]
ELDER

Post by ELDER »

Ok, the saber adopted by Yang Family is this with a hard blade.

But what about the other types with flexible blade and rounded guard handle that we mostly see in TC videos, they can also be used with the same form ? Does it strongly influences the form execution ?

I am asking because I only have access to this other type of saber, or broadsword.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

The basic idea is that the dao or saber has only one sharp edge and is slightly curved. Jian or sword by contrast is straight and both edges are sharpened. Sabers come in considerable variety. Mostly we see a fairly thick and rigid one often referred to as Mongolian broadsword. Somewhat rarer in the US are the ones the Yangs use, shaped somewhat like an old-fashioned butter knife with an s-shaped hand-guard. Even these come in various levels of cost, thickness, weight, sturdiness and detail. Whatever you use should be balanced and have a saber tassel or cloth. I recommend you consult with your teacher about buying equipment like sabers and swords.
ELDER

Post by ELDER »

Jerry,

Thanks for your response !

I started learning the Dao two weeks ago. According to my teacher orientation, the Jian will be learned later (farway), so I am not focusing on it now.

I am currently using the mongolian type saber you mentioned, with a round guard and a flexible end blade.

Regards
Elder