important note re your email address

JerryKarin

important note re your email address

Post by JerryKarin »

Important note: I have changed the board so that the default setting is to allow users of the board (the public) to see your email address. If you want to prevent the public from seeing your email address, click the profile link on any screen, enter your id and password and check the option to prevent your email from being shown.
ken

Post by ken »

is it also possible not to have our IP address posted?
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Ken asked if it is possible not to have ip address posted. I can turn ipa display on or off for everybody, all or none. I'd like to leave it on. I will entertain reasons why not, if you have any. It's a good way to identify people who misbehave. I don't know if you've been following what has been going on on the board for the last few weeks. We had some irresponsible people who made the whole thing so ugly that I had to upgrade the software to keep some control. The ip is a way to identify someone fairly well. Welcome to the board Ken!

[This message has been edited by JerryKarin (edited 02-15-2001).]
ken

Post by ken »

The reason I asked about not showing the IP address is merely that some people may prefer to maintain a low personal profile on the internet, just as they do not wish to have their e-mail address published. I made the suggestion in the hope that it could be implemented without adversely impacting administrative control over the board. I sometimes visit another discussion board that uses the Infopop software, and it merely shows the IP address as "logged" and only those with administrative privileges can retrieve the IP address. Obviouisly if the the choice becomes one of maintaining control or not publishing the IP address, I clearly favor maintaining control.

btw, congratulations on a major improvement over the old software that was in use previously.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

You're right, Ken. I can choose the option of logging without displaying. That way, however, users cannot tell when someone creates two or three ids and plays games with them. I am probably over-reacting, but I think you would be amazed at some of the people I have been dealing with in the past two weeks, via email as well as on the board. Or maybe not, you mentioned you are a lawyer! You probably get to see some pretty strange stuff yourself. I haven't really thought that much about the possible privacy issues resulting from revealing people's ip. Let me know if you feel the negative may outweigh the positive. I could be convinced to change the setup if someone can show good cause to do so.

Jerry
ken

Post by ken »

Jerry, I am sure we have all seen some pretty strange stuff, and in a lot of different places. Just as I have seen some unusual and/or persistent characters (to state it mildly) in the real world, I am also aware of some on the internet. Indeed, some friends that I have met have related to me experiences they have had being harassed (on the internet) by persons they have encountered in some of the chat rooms on the internet. Now, I am certainly not skilled enough right now to use an IP address to stalk or harass someone, but I suspect that one could learn how to do so. So, it is solely in keeping with my general philosophy of maintaining as low a profile as possible as one of multiple means used to avoid circumstances where confrontation could arise that I suggested an increase in security on a public board. Certainly I am not arguing that it is a privacy issue in a legal sense, and I will certainly continue to participate here regardless of whether IP addresses are posted. And indeed, I may be raising a concern over nothing if the the apparent former heated exchanges did not result in any extra-cirrcular exchanges. But I guess it is better to raise the issue and give it whatever consideration may be due, rather then to be unaware of the issue at all.

Your concern over multiple ID's is a good concern. And I guess showing the IP address enables all to ascertain when there is a case of multiple ID's by the same person when they are connecting through the same server. So in that sense, it does provide some useful information to the reader, but is not the concern more one of what is said (i.e., disinformation, flaming, etc) rather than who is saying it (particularly if a user cannot be banned from the board)?

Whatever you decide to go with will be ok with me. It appears not to be a concern to any others, so perhaps I am just overly cautious or paranoid. I defer to your judgment and experience is discussion board mamagement.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Thanks for your thoughtful response Ken. As anyone who saw the flamefest develop over the last few weeks can attest, my experience in managing these things is not very extensive! I guess I am starting to learn that the best way to put out a fire may not be to pour oil and gas on it Image. I invite anyone else with more knowledge about the pitfalls of posting ip addresses to weigh in here on this issue.