Fact checker: yang chen fu taught at Imperial palace?

mls_72

Fact checker: yang chen fu taught at Imperial palace?

Post by mls_72 »

I was at a Asian festival and a Cheng Man Ching player was telling folks that yang chen fu taught at Imperial palace in Beijing? is this true? I thought only Yang Lu chan did that and Yang chen fu taught at a Beijing sports society.
Sugelanren

Re: Fact checker: yang chen fu taught at Imperial palace?

Post by Sugelanren »

It was always my understanding that it was Yang lu Chan that taught at the Imperial palace, but i am by far an expert.
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

wikipedia has:

he was among the first teachers to offer T'ai chi ch'uan instruction to the general public at the Beijing Physical Culture Research Institute from 1914 until 1928.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Chengfu
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Matt,

The imperial dynasty was overthrown in 1911, when Yang Chengfu would have been around 28. I doubt he would have been old enough to hold a prestigious teaching position during the waning years of the dynasty and probably would not have wanted one. My guess is the speaker just got mixed up. I have heard or read only that Yang Luchan and Yang Banhou had taught in the palace. Yang Chengfu was known, on the other hand, for popularizing his family's art at a time when strengthening China and its people was a common concern among Chinese concerned about the weakness of China in the face of foreign aggression and internal disorder.

Take care,
Audi