Styles - Similarities and Diffferences and Back Alley

DavidJ

Styles - Similarities and Diffferences and Back Alley

Post by DavidJ »

Jerry,

For one new forum I suggest "Styles-Similarities and Differences". There could be a thread for each of the major styles Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun, Ho and threads for the major teachers.
For those who are ticked off about something let there be a "Back Alley" forum where people could denigrate and insult each other all they want, and others would be warned that this forum was only for letting off steam. The contents wouldn't have to be policed and could be taken out with the trash every two weeks or so.

David
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DavidJ:
<B>Jerry,

For one new forum I suggest "Styles-Similarities and Differences". There could be a thread for each of the major styles Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun, Ho and threads for the major teachers.
For those who are ticked off about something let there be a "Back Alley" forum where people could denigrate and insult each other all they want, and others would be warned that this forum was only for letting off steam. The contents wouldn't have to be policed and could be taken out with the trash every two weeks or so.

David</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea of a general taiji site is a good one, but I think we will leave it to someone else to implement it. Our focus here is the Yang family style of taiji. Yang Zhenduo and Yang Jun are very supportive of all styles of taiji. All taiji is good taiji. While we do discuss a number of things on this board such as push hands and health benefits which might pertain to any style, here at the International Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan Association and yangfamilytaichi.com, we are not qualified to speak about other styles; we feel that it is best to leave the promotion and discussion of other styles to those who really understand them. We are working on a links page which could serve to redirect those interested in other styles to appropriate places. Please send me any links that you would like us to consider for inclusion, especially high-level links which could serve as an introduction to other styles. As to the back-alley idea, I know that Yang Jun does not like that type of thing. I think there actually are quite a few places like that already on the web and usenet. Thanks for your support David. By the way I very much liked your post comparing taiji to language.

[This message has been edited by JerryKarin (edited 02-16-2001).]
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Just now looking over my reply to David above it sounded kind of pompous, probably because I was trying to come up with a policy on the fly. Although the main focus here is traditional Yang style taiji, of course it is only natural sometimes to consider other styles and variations of Yang style in our discussions here. We are actually less concerned about the content than about maintaining a level of respect and deference for all contributors, teachers and styles.

On another note I am translating a brief statement from Yang Jun with his general guidelines for the use of the board, and will post it in the next day or two.