chi/ki/qi

Sado

chi/ki/qi

Post by Sado »

I got a question concerning mixing tai chi with taekwondo. I have attained a green belt in WTF style taekwondo and are school soes not teach anything related to chi/ki passed the Kiap. And so I decided to sign up in taichi this month. My goal is to effectively mix the two styles into a martial art that is strong physicaly and to use ki/chi to boost my fighting ability past what it is currently at. Is that a good thing to do?
Steve

Post by Steve »

It has been my experience, as a multi-disciplinary fighter, that Taijiquan practice will enhance any method. You will not be "mixing" the two styles...you will be using one to improve your skills in the other.

Yes, Taijiquan will give you the internal training you're looking for. Its best advantage in terms of your TKD will be your ability to become relaxed, loose and smooth. I have found that Taiji as part of a training program helps fighters to become more fluid and learn to blend more with their opponents rather than resisting and trying to overcome them physically. However, you should be aware that practicing your own style for many years will eventually lead to these skills anyway. It is the principle that is different, not the techniques.
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Steve,

I generally agree with your advice, but was curious about a few things. Do you feel Taekwondo and T'ai Chi use qi/ch'i/ki in more or less the same way? Do you see any conflicts between the two approaches?

Much of my T'ai Chi study has been in mixed settings, and my original introduction to T'ai Chi was as an explicit "add on" to a karate style. I have found that knowledge of one has indeed helped in learning the other; nevertheless, I have continued to have great difficulty in "integrating" the two approaches at many levels: fighting distances, mental attitude, technique focus, strategy, etc. I would be curious as to what your experience has been.

Best regards,
Audi