concerning the Yang Small Circle set

Rafael

concerning the Yang Small Circle set

Post by Rafael »

I practice Wu style tai chi chuan and I'm very interested in the Yang Small Circle set that Yang Pan-hou or Yang Luchan created. Is it still practiced by the Yang family? How many disciples (not students) did Yang Pan-hou have? How true is the account that Ma Yueh-liang's fast set (also known as Wu style fast form) from Yang Shao-hou's?

thank you,
Rafael
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

I got a chance to talk to Yang Jun yesterday about your question. Let me summarize his response:

The Yang family no longer practices xiao3 jia4 or small frame. Yang Banhou had few disciples. One, at least, was Quan You, the father of the well known Wu stylist, Wu Jianquan (Quan You was a manchu, and had an unusual surname, which in the next generation was changed to Wu). It is true that the Yang family used to practice some kind of kuai4 quan2 or fast set; it appears to have died out with Yang Chengfu's generation. Yang Shaohou learned a lot of his art from Yang Banhou. Not that much is known now about Yang Shaohou's forms, though it is unlikely that Ma Yuehliang learned directly from Yang Shaohou.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Rafael,
If you are still around on this board, I'd like to ask you who you studied Wu style under.
Just curious.
Lee Scheele

Post by Lee Scheele »

I'm not Raphael, but I drop in on this board every now and then and study Wu Style via a Shanghai lineage WCC/WKY -> Pei Tsu Ying -> Ho Nan Jie (Tony Ho)
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Just curious, as I said. I studied under a disciple of Wu Kwong Yu (Eddie) and was curious as to other Wu stylists out there and who they studied under and what differences there might be in their styles. Don't have too many Wu stylists where I'm at now so always good to hear from one.
Another forum,though, might be more appropriate for those discussions.
If you're interested let me know.