Olimpic Tai Chi

Angela

Olimpic Tai Chi

Post by Angela »

I really would like to know the opinion of the traditional Yang Family tai chi practitioners about the entrance of Tai Chi in the olimpic games.
Personally I have my reserves about that, but I´d rather to hear some other opinions.

Thanks
Angela
Yang Shen

Post by Yang Shen »

I am for it, Traditional Family sets will not be included they will be using some parts of Traditional sets as arranged in the 42 bare hand and sword 42 as far as I know. I am sure many have worked hard to have Wu Shu/Tai Chi included in the Olympics. More so it depends on the practitioner not the art of Tai Chi Chuan and what their goals are, like competing/sport applications.

Many may have different awareness but that does not change the essence of Tai Chi Boxing. The art can be so vast and in depth as in the spiritual, healing, longevity and killing techniques that there is room for many applications in my opinion.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

I am curious. Is this a done deal?
I have not heard for sure that TCC was going to be included. As far as I can find out online this is still a possibility only.
Have I missed something?
Will push hands be included? How about free style wrestling or sparring?
Or will it be only forms?
Gianluca Meassi

Post by Gianluca Meassi »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wushuer:
<B>I am curious. Is this a done deal?
I have not heard for sure that TCC was going to be included. As far as I can find out online this is still a possibility only.
Have I missed something?
Will push hands be included? How about free style wrestling or sparring?
Or will it be only forms?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At now Wushu (and so Taiji) it is stil under examination of the Internation Olympic Committee.

Last news I've found on a 5 min google search is here :

http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/media_ce ... elease=308

The only news i've got is that there will be only one taijiquan form, the 42-posture competitive routine. And only for women.

But personally I do not call that taiji. The form itself could be, if you pratice it with the principles, even i'm not sure how many people can mix and show all the characteristics of 4-5 styles of taiji in a form. The way that China and International Wushu Federation ( http://www.iwuf.org/ ) are putting taiji is under wushu philosophy, a empty shell of what Martial Arts are. Something a lot away from the classics and background I'm familiar. IMHO.

Cheers.
Gianluca
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thank you all!
But, I´m really curious to understand how is possible to create some kind of external performance, connecting diferent styles, and yet to maintain the inner presence of taiji spirit.
Think it is hard to have the taiji principles there.

I´d like to follow discussing it, because it may help us to understand better and to discern between what is and what is not.

I´d like also to have some opinion from the most antique traditional Yang Style prectitioners.

Thanks
Angela
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Angela,

I think that having Taijiquan in the Olympics will probably be a good thing, since it will help give exposure to the art and give others greater outlets for their practice. All in all, however, I doubt that what the practitioners actually do will have much relevance for what interests me in the art or for what I work on in practice.

Take care,
Audi
gene

Post by gene »

Angela:

My first boss said "there's no such thing as bad publicity." I think I disagree, but I suppose whatever exposure taiji gets through the Olympics (which I think will be minimal, since I'm sure we won't see much of it on TV) can't hurt. I suspect that if push hands is included, however, it will quickly degenerate into external grappling and leverage "tricks," as it always does when the emphasis is on winning medals rather than on exploration and learning. As to the form, the quest to perfect the appearance of a standardized form benefits both practitioner and spectators - but, again, the main benefits of taiji can be lost when the emphasis is on competing for a score. Would yoga be a good Olympic sport? Why or why not?

We have a belief that friendly competition makes everyone better. That was the initial belief when the modern Olympics were re-started in 1896. And to me there is no question that competition with the goal of developing character and discipline brings out the best in all of us. But look at what has happened with the Olympics as a whole, from track and field to basketball. The "Olympic Spirit" has been supplanted by the greed of professionals and their handlers whose goal is to win at any cost. True, this type of debasement has mainly happened in the more popular spectator sports, and not in real amateur sports such as archery. But why be part of a tournament that tolerates this kind of hypocrisy in any aspect of its events? I have often thought about how terrific it would be to have a real counter-Olympics, where true amateurs (with real jobs or real college majors) competed together.

In short, the values for which taijiquan stands are antithetical to the modern "Olympic" movement, which has advanced and embraced a destructive "win at any cost" philosophy. "If you overvalue possessions, people begin to steal." (TTC Book 3, Mitchell translation.)

Other than that, I have no opinion.

Gene
Angela

Post by Angela »

Dear Gene

I agree totally with your vision, and hope your words can be read by 'manys'.

Thanks a lot and hope we can meet some day to practice together.

Take Care
Angela