Post by petr »

Matt, thank you very much!
Best,
Petr :)
Audi

Re: Yang Taiji strike hands, strike before you push

Post by Audi »

Matt,

Nice video. I was especially interested in the fact that you seemed to draw a link between the striking drill and the vertical circling, could you elaborate? During my teaching, I occasionally do the reverse to do try to make clear that the circling is not really about just circling, but rather about learning more about the exchange and possible exchange of energy.

Take care,
Audi
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

Audi,

The section 'turn around and strike' is key in the "Da shou" techniques in the video. I was taught that the first fist strikes the head, the second strike which is a palm hits the chest, and third fist strikes lower ribs. The vertical circle is key for the reason it is the strongest in pung jin. the Cloud hands 'vertical pung' is much stronger than the horizontal pung. Have someone push with brute force on both horizontal and vertical pung and see which one you can ward them off with best without collapsing. When I think of 'exchange' it comes down to defense and offense. Defensive like deflecting, yielding, parrying, requires a follow-up of a offensive counter attack. If the opponent gives you something to feed off of- quickly stick and counter, and be prepared for their counters and continual exchanging.

Matt
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. This seems to imply a somewhat different training approach than what I am familiar with.

When you do form, do you therefore imagine three unanswered strikes in a row?

Take care,
Audi
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

Audi wrote:
When you do form, do you therefore imagine three unanswered strikes in a row?
It is not a good idea to imagine 3 unanswered strikes. That would be like yang , yang and more Yang without the Yin. when I spoke of exchange, I mention anticipation of a counter attack. If the look at Taiji or yin/yang... for any attack/offense- "yang action" there should be defense or "yin action". so always be prepared for counter attacks of opponent on your offensive movement and vice versa when you defend which is a "yin action" against a opponent attack/offense, be ready to counter/change to offense or "yang action".