Wu Mengxia's: Annotations on 9 songs and 81 postures

mls_72

Wu Mengxia's: Annotations on 9 songs and 81 postures

Post by mls_72 »

Audi- I found the term in Chinese in regards to the discussion on exchanging energy and striking in 'da shou' and 'tui shou' from the other thread. I do not have Chinese Character however.

"Gui Dai Da" having "defense including an attack" or yang within yin.

here is the page in the link here:

http://polariswushu.net/blog/2013/10/11 ... -postures/
mls_72

Re: Wu Mengxia's: Annotations on 9 songs and 81 postures

Post by mls_72 »

commentary from my pal D_Glenn:

顾带打 Gu Dai Da (be aware of the three zones of attack) is also called being aware of the left, right, and front; and is also called "the black bull swings it's head side to side" where if you push against the bull's right horn then it's head turns and you get stuck with the left horn, vice versa, and if you attack the center/front then it can turn it's head either direction, giving you options of which direction to turn.
ruben

Post by ruben »

Hi Matt.
This explanation reminds me of the tuishou "Turnstile Practice" on Association Student Guide, pg 185
Regards,

Rubén
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Matt,

I'm not very familiar with the Wu Mengxia materials, but I see a lot of translation problems in the Annotations page that you posted. The Chinese passage being translated can be found on this page: http://baike.baidu.com/view/8311973.htm

It's not clear to me why the three characters 顾带打 are being singled out. I think the concept includes the character 连 lián, hence 连顾带打 -- something like "strike while continuously scanning your surrounding zone." Then the next phrase, 以守为攻的用法, "in order to use the method of making a defense serve as an attack."

Just a preliminary observation, but I could be wrong.

Take care,
Louis
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

ruben wrote:Hi Matt.
This explanation reminds me of the tuishou "Turnstile Practice" on Association Student Guide, pg 185
Regards,

Rubén
Hi Ruben,

Yes, I looked at the turnstile practice and it is similar in some aspects. The only difference is that this thread is an extension of the "Da Shou: strike before push" thread. When I talk about countering, i am talking about outside range striking where "sticking" to opponent is unavailable and difficult. Tui shou is sticking and gets into the usage of the 13 energies and mid-range grappling. Da shou is how to deal with punches, kicks, elbows, knees, etc. in the outer ranges.

@Louis: thanks for the character analysis and commentary.

Matt