Moon Salutation...?

ashtanga

Moon Salutation...?

Post by ashtanga »

Hi, can anyone tell me about the Moon Salutation? Nothing to do with Yoga (Sun Salutation). I have recently been taught this short form by my teacher.

Thanks,

Tony...
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

The best way to gain an understanding of any art is to give the teachers' name and whom he taught and who taught him!
ashtanga

Post by ashtanga »

...can you clarify; do you mean give you guys my teachers name?

Cheers,

Tony...
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Tony,
Nope, I can't tell you a thing about it. I've never heard of it.
Google searches bring up thousands of links to Yoga sites using those words. Even adding "tai chi chuan", "taiji chuan", "tai chi", "taiji", "martial arts", "chinese martial arts" and a few other things along those lines that came to mind didn't bring up anything else but Yoga sites.
It looks like it's up to you to tell us about it. What's it like? How do you use it?
ashtanga

Post by ashtanga »

Its a very simple set of fluid movements. It was my first class today and we are starting the Eight Simple Brocades as a main practice. However, as a simple practice we were given the Moon Salutations. Can't really describe them as I am so new ;o) sorry. Will find out a little more and get back to you.

Tony...
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

I've never encountered anything in traditional taijiquan literature that would in any way resemble "Moon Salutation." Maybe I'll learn something new?

Take care,
Louis

"Nobody quite knew what to make of the moon any more."
--Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker, Ch. 1.
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ashtanga:
<B>...can you clarify; do you mean give you guys my teachers name?

Cheers,

Tony...</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really do not have to!
It is just something you have to do to figure out the veracity of styles that are purported to be 'secret' or never taught, or special!
If I said I studied a Mongolian Yang style (originated in Mongolia) and compared it to another known Yang style, and it doesn't match, what is the conclusion?

I personally have never of 'Moon Salutation(s)" associated with Yang style but to be fair to your assertion, the only tool left is the name of the person who teaches this and his association to any martial system!
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

My only thought, and this is admittedly after thinking on this for quite some time, is that this may be a form of Qigong?
There are many Qigong forms, with all kinds of names. This may be a form of Qigong that just happens to have the same name as the Yoga.
We've got a lady in our town that used to teach (she still may, but I've not seen anything about her in quite some time) what she called "Dragon and Tiger Form Qigong". It looked an awful lot like 8 Pieces of Brocade to me, but that's not what she called it.
I would imagine as long as you give it a vaguely oriental sounding name, and especially if you associate it with dragons and tigers and moons and suns, that it will sell a trifle better here in the U.S. of A.
That is no disparagement of Moon Salutation or any other form or style or practice, just a pretty good marketing technique.
As long as it's genuine Qigong or Tai Chi Chuan or Bagua or Xingyi, what difference does it make what you call it?

All I got.
fol

Post by fol »

Don't you think that "Moon Salutation" is just a variant translation of the ancient wisdom text more commonly known as "Goodnight Moon"?
T

Post by T »

Sorry the only place Ihave heard of the Moon Salutation was in Yoga. I have never heard of it in Taiji either, or at least not as it comes from Tung. I also did a bit of Chen many years ago and have not heard of it and I have not heard of any posture in any of the qigong Ihave done called the moon salutation either.

This does not mean there is not something called this in Qigong just that I have not come across it