Da lu

tccstudent

Da lu

Post by tccstudent »

I have a question for ya'll. I'm curious as to how you perform the pulling (da lu) exercise with a partner. The reason I ask is I have seen a couple of clips off the web, but everyone seems to do it differently. Are there variations off of Da lu or is there suppose to be one specific way to perform this?

What I'm really interested in specifically is the footwork part. I have seen some people step straight back (almost backwards) as they pull, and I have seen others step back to the oblique as they pull. My study of this is to step back to the oblique, and as I turn my waste slightly, I also pull with one hand on the wrist and the other on the bicep (upper arm) simultaneous. Anyone have any video clips of this exercise?
tccstudent

Post by tccstudent »

See, here is an example of dalu with the step straight back. I do it a bit differently than this, but I'd like to hear more information on Da Lu practice if someone more experienced could elaborate? I'm not saying this is good or bad, just using this as an example....

http://www.polariswushu.net/dalu.mpg
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

Aha! Found you on another forum! Do you not do 3 versions of Da Lu? The 'passive' as shown in the clip, the active where you step in and dislodge your partner and the one where you go under the arm and round?
Audi

Post by Audi »

My understanding is that there are indeed many variations of the Da Lu. When I first learned it, I stepped to the oblique; but my understanding is that once you get going, you can step in any direction you want.
tccstudent_usa

Post by tccstudent_usa »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bossman:
Aha! Found you on another forum! Do you not do 3 versions of Da Lu? The 'passive' as shown in the clip, the active where you step in and dislodge your partner and the one where you go under the arm and round?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Steve, nice to hear from you. Actually, you are correct (as usual). I have since gained more insight into it's practice, but I never looked at it as seperate versions.

From the pull down, we press - seperate - shoulder stroke - go under arm and switch sides. Very cool practice.

Audi, yes actually I was taught to "listen" to the puller and not step to early. That way you can sense the direction of the pull better I believe.

[This message has been edited by tccstudent_usa (edited 08-15-2006).]
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

Which Yang stye Da Lu are we talking about?
Most Yang style tuishou does not go beyond push hands and the varaition do not extend into application and usage. WHy is this?
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

These are taught by YSC his 3 disciples and daughters.