Occupying the opponent's center

Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Yuri,

Yes, extinguishing a candle from a foot away would qualify as an "airborn" (lingkong) trick. I'm not sure how that translates to interpersonal skills. Of course, My Old Flame was extinguished long ago.

Take care,
Louis
chris

Post by chris »

Kal,

It is not a matter of being able to do it or not; anyone and their kid sister can do it. The trick is in doing it strongly enough that the other person can or must respond.

What you feel depends on what you are willing to feel, what you are interested in ignoring and what you would prefer to imagine.

IMO, this is a 3-5 year skill if you really want it. If you don't want it, maybe it arrives in 10 years, or possibly never.

-----
Chris
Martial Development
Kalamondin

Post by Kalamondin »

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> or you might just contine to practice and what ever comes will come when you are ready.</font>
I'm basically on board with this one. I'm too undisciplined to get obsessed with anything and too stubborn to let go of it entirely until I understand it a bit more.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>(Has anyone been on the receiving end?)

I have. My own feelings where of being sick to the point of feeling like I wanted to throw up. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the corroboration. I felt sick too.

Kal
mrjong

Re: Occupying the opponent's center

Post by mrjong »

this is how you are supposed to be attacking when you get to an intermediate level of skill. you feel the person is slowly expanding into your center, sort of like a tidal wave coming to crush you. if you get this feeling from somebody who is making subtle movements, the only thing i can suggest is that you practice more. his skill may just be higher than yours. also, don't look to defeat/beat him. look to learn. with encountering anyone, there is always the opportunity for growth.