New to ranking

JohnLamb

New to ranking

Post by JohnLamb »

I am going to try level one ranking in June and have been practicing YFS TCC (103 form) for about a year and a half. Can anyone give some tips for passing the tests?

I memorized the 10 principles and the 103 form and I practice on my own at least 6 days each week. There are many "layers" to this TCC and I am wondering what the judges might be looking for and how the scoring works.

Any help is appreciated.

John Lamb
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Hi John,

It is good that you have memorized the ten essentials.

I think they will be verifying to see if you are embodying these.

Can you be sung and remain sung in front of these judges? Image

Best wishes,
Pamela
JohnLamb

Post by JohnLamb »

"Can you be sung and remain sung in front of these judges?"

Pamela, thank you for your reply.

That is an astute question. My answer is: I hope so. It seems I can perform the long form adhereing to the essentials almost every time, except for a couple of the most difficult moves. However, once in a while, I do a movement/posture in a non-standard way..for no obvious reason!! Maybe this is monkey-mind, maybe inexperience. I have most trouble with form when trying to practice in a group where many people are going at different speeds. It is distracting and my only solution so far has been to try to ignore the specific people, use a sort of fuzzy focus on the whole group, and to try to concentrate on dealing with my imaginary opponent...all while trying to stay balanced and with 10 essentials. Whew!! I practice in a public place at least 2 times per week, plus classes, plus most times in my back yard in full view of the neighbors.

I really want to do best possible form, avoid any embarrassment to my teacher and class mates, and to pass the test(s). A number of fellow class-mates (friends)have encouraged me to do this ranking (even ones who will not do it), and my teacher asked me if I would try it. I do not wish to let them down!!

John Lamb
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Hello John,

Well, it sounds like everyone's in your corner, I do wish you the best of luck, with your test.

I think it is quite impressive that you have reached such a level after so little time,
but if your teacher thinks you are ready, then he/she must have good grounds for this.

You might also want to know the elements and their transitions/meldings/relativity to each other,
Master Yang Jun usually stresses these in his seminars...

Even if it came about that you were not to pass, you will have had the experience of it,
and I'm sure it would be easier the second time...

Good luck! Image

Pamela
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

..about group practice...well, it is just that, a group endeavor.

I was instructed to follow the one in the front of the class in any direction( I suppose because they cannot see behind them)...and if eveyone does this, then the group should be coherent.

I think we are being asked to do something different in a group form, than in a solo form...

Just my thoughts Image

Best wishes,
Pamela

[This message has been edited by Pamela (edited 05-02-2006).]
JohnLamb

Post by JohnLamb »

Thanks, Pamela! This is good stuff. I had a seminar last summer with Master Yang Jun on section 2 of 103 form. I remember he talked about these things, but I had not really studied them. Usually I am just thinking about what I am going to do, and why am I doing it.

John Lamb

[This message has been edited by JohnLamb (edited 05-02-2006).]
JohnLamb

Post by JohnLamb »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pamela:
<B>
I was instructed to follow the one in the front of the class in any direction( I suppose because they cannot see behind them)...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes we forget....LOL

John Lamb
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Hi John,

Maybe I should clarify my expression...highlited as such...it seems confusing even to me.
Let me reword... Image

I was instructed to follow the four "leading" players...the one in the forefront of the class when facing forward,
the one to the extreme right when facing right, the one to the extreme left whilst working left, and the one heading extreme rear whilst facing rear.

My own logic says, if everyone cooperates as they should, that we could just follow the one in front of us....but the success of that would be dependant upon everyone focusing and following in unison.

Pamela
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

John,

"However, once in a while, I do a movement/posture in a non-standard way..for no obvious reason!!"

Just curious Image What do you mean by a non~standard way?

Pamela
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Actually...John...you got me thinking about this...

I think if I were a teacher I would ask just that~that everyone follow the one directly in front of him,,,
this way it would make everyone feel responsible for following and maintaining unison Image

Best wishes,
Pamela
JohnLamb

Post by JohnLamb »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pamela:
<B>John,

"However, once in a while, I do a movement/posture in a non-standard way..for no obvious reason!!"

Just curious Image What do you mean by a non~standard way?

Pamela </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean that sometimes when I attempt a movement/posture it does not end up the way I intend. For example, Saturday I was doing section 3. Cross arms-carry tiger-diagonal single whip-part wild horse's mane. On the second parting wild horse's mane I diagonal stepped way past 35 degree from the main line of travel. I would guess maybe 60 degrees. I knew the instant I did it, it was wrong. My intention (I guess not a strong enough intention) was to step 35 degrees. I have not figured out exactly why, but sometimes this just happens. I will admit that it can be very difficult to maintain the proper concentration throughout the whole form.

John Lamb
JohnLamb

Post by JohnLamb »

<B>Actually...John...you got me thinking about this...

I think if I were a teacher I would ask just that~that everyone follow the one directly in front of him,,,
this way it would make everyone feel responsible for following and maintaining unison Image

Best wishes,
Pamela

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think people in the corners of the "squad" can be the leaders and usually more experienced players go there. But if they get going too fast or forget a movement/posture, either they are followed over the cliff or chaos may result. Plus, many fellow players have not memorized the form yet but can follow along. Others, like me, are new and just trying to learn the frame let alone any of the deeper stuff.

In any event, it is all still a lot of fun. At least for most.

John Lamb
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

Hi John,

Yes, I agree...much of it is about building focus and concentration...and fixing neurological pathways...Ten thousand reps is a good start Image

And I agree too ~ It's all alot of fun, a great and lengthy challenge...one of a lifetime...an art with lots of room for growth, indeed~

Best wishes,
Pamela
JohnLamb

Post by JohnLamb »

Can anyone inform me how the scoring works for ranking? I see from the website that there are separate scoring for the form demonstration and the theory test. Is the theory test written or oral or both?

I guess I am trying to figure out how many "screw ups" I can achieve and still pass the testing. Also I am trying to get a head-start before some preparatory classes for ranking.

There was an earlier thread that asked similar questions, but never directly answered.

John Lamb

[This message has been edited by JohnLamb (edited 05-04-2006).]
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Hi John,
Are you testing in Louisville, KY or Montreal, Canada?
I am going to take a ranking test in June in Louisville.

Bob