Long form

guyabarbanel

Long form

Post by guyabarbanel »

i practice the yang long form about a 1 year
and i have a problem i would like to know if someone tell me
How i pass from "raise hands" to "white crane" ???
i saw several ways but i don't know what to do.
Anderzander

Post by Anderzander »

Can your teacher not clarify it for you?

There is always more than one way to do things and it is best to do the one that has the deepest explanations available! :-)
guyabarbanel

Post by guyabarbanel »

yes ,i konw but i practice by myself now so can explain me ???
cheefatt taichi

Post by cheefatt taichi »

Hi Guyabarbanel,

It would be easier for you to just grab a VCD by any reputable masters and immitate their movements. However, to truly master the essence of taiji, you cannot but to get a qualified instructor to guide you.

Sorry can't help you much here.

Thanks and regards,
Hiu
guyabarbanel

Post by guyabarbanel »

thank you all i just ask a simple q if someone can explain me the move in words.
tccstudent

Post by tccstudent »

perhaps this might help. video example.

http://www.wuwei.org/Taiji/longform.html
guyabarbanel

Post by guyabarbanel »

thank you very very very much.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

The way he shows it in this video is somewhat different from the way the Yangs do it, particularly the way he draws the right hand back, then advances it to the front. When I do this, starting from lift hands and step up, my palms, which were facing each other left and right, begin to face each other but right facing down and left up. Now the two arms circle downward and the arms rotate all the while, till the left hand circles past right arm rather like ward off (and by this time the right palm faces up and the left down). Meanwhile the right foot is lifted from the floor and replaced with toe angled to the corner. The ward off takes place as weight is shifted to the right foot. After the ward off the arms continue rotating but now in the opposite direction as the right goes up to end above the forehead with palm facing upwards and the left ends by the left side facing down. At the same time the left foot steps out to the front, just on the side of a center line, at the other side of which is positioned the right foot. A lot of continuous arm rotation in this.

[This message has been edited by JerryKarin (edited 09-19-2005).]
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

I recommend that at least get a book with a good narrative, such as Louis Swaim's translation of Fu Zhongwen's book.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

You could supplement that with a tape ord dvd, such as the ones in the product section of yangfamilytaichi.com.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Here is Yang Zhenduo's short narrative for this move:

Turn the two palms so that they face each other, one facing up and the other down. Circle the two arms downward leading with the left arm and following with the right; the left arm circles back upward and the two arms close. Turn the right foot in to the corner, shift the weight to the right. Pick up the left foot and step out, at the same time the two arms open upward and downward. The right arm turns over as it arrives above the head, the palm facing outward. The left hand is placed by the side of the left hip, with the palm facing downward and the fingers pointing forward. The bottom of the front part of the left foot is touching the ground.
guyabarbanel

Post by guyabarbanel »

Thank you but i want to clarify one point as i understand the right leg step forward right and not forward left (left foot in a straight line with right foot) ?
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Pick up the right foot and put it down in basically the same spot, but having changed the direction the toe is pointing from north to northwest.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

When the left steps out the direction you are basically going has changed from north to west. So you start out in lift hands facing north, ie the movement is performed towards the north. White crane finishes and you are addressing westward, and the chest, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is facing square to the west.
Kalamondin

Post by Kalamondin »

Yes, the chest is square to the west at the end of White Crane Spreads Wings.