Opening footwork/stances

Michael Coulon

Opening footwork/stances

Post by Michael Coulon »

While recently practicing push hands with our students a question was asked what is the proper distance to your training partner you should take when lining up to do push hands. I responded that when you step out into your bow stance your forward foot should be even with your partners. I find that I sometimes have to readjust my stance to get into this position. First, is this answar correct, and secondly, is there a method or 'trick' to getting into the proper/best distance with your stance?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've seen a couple of ways to gauge the distance, but the one I like best involves both partners extending both hands to the front and touching their fists. This is useful, because sometimes we forget that people's arms aren't always the same length.

For a good read on the different levels, positions and ranges of practise, I highly recommend Stuart Alve Olson's "Tai Chi Sensing Hands."

SB
Michael Coulon

Post by Michael Coulon »

Steve, thanks for the insight and the book recommendation. This info is similar to what someone else recently told me. Please clarify one thing for me though. When you say for the partners to "extend both hands to the front and touch their fists" do you recommend that the arms are more straight and open or are the arms more rounded so that the back of the wrists meet. Thank you for the info.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The way it's done in wushu circles, the arms are held out straight, as though throwing a level-fist (palm down) punch at shoulder-height, with the knuckles touching. Remember that stepping forward will close the distance somewhat, so if you gauge the distance with curved arms your bow stance will put you in each other's faces.

This is, as I said, only a setup for distancing. Once this is done (with the feet together and standing straight), of course the actual pushing is circular.

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 02-22-2001).]