Wave Hands Like Clouds

gene

Wave Hands Like Clouds

Post by gene »

I'd like to clarify the energy on wave hands like clouds. Some teachers of other versions of the form say that there should be a complete weight shift to the opposite leg before the waist turns. The justification for this is to keep yin and yang clear. In the traditional 103, though, there appears to be a gradual weight shift, and a brief moment of central equilibrium. See, for example, figure 179 in YZD's book, Yang Style Taijiquan. I like this much better. I feel it's much more graceful and I like to feel the energy and power of moving everything through the center together. What are others doing/teaching on this movement, and why?

Thanks,
Gene
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yes I would have to agree with transfering the weight onto the the leg first and then turning the waist. This helps with developing your roots and the foundation ward off technique.
Bob3

Post by Bob3 »

gene:
I have been taught somewhat differently. In general, the waist controls the legs as well as the arms, and in most cases, the weight shift is accomplished as the waist turns. However, in Wave Hands like Clouds, the weight shift is accomplished earlier. After stepping out with the left foot, the waist turns to the left and the hands rotate. At the same time the weight shifts to the left foot so that by the time the left hand starts to go to the left outside the body, the weight is totally shifted to the left and the right leg is closed.
This approach actually has some advantages. If necessary, weight can be shifted to the right leg and the left leg step out before the waist is fully rotated to the left. Even if there is no need to step out, some weight can be shifted to the right as spiral energy is led from the legs up through the waist and out through the left hand. This also lets the body accomplish a small move to the right to offset the extension of the left arm and hand.
When turning the waist to the right, the weight is shifted to the right leg by the time the right hand moves past the body, so that the left leg can extend out, offsetting the extension of the right arm and hand.

In most of the other movements, the waist controls the shift of weight, so that the weight is shifted totally when the waist has almost stopped turning. There is only a small residual turn of the waist to move the empty leg to where it should be placed.
gene

Post by gene »

OK, so as you teach it, the weight shift is still gradual; but it's completed by the time the upper hand begins to move outside the body line even though the waist still has farther to go. Accurate?

Thanks,

Gene
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Gene,

For what its worth, I also prefer Yang Zhen Duo's gradual weight shift. I find that delaying the waist turn makes it difficult for me to visualize having appropriate timing to intercept a punch from the front or sufficient power to turn the ward off energy of the upper arm into a pull down (cai) technique.

Audi