Yang Chen Fu on post-Taiji Walking

mls_72

Yang Chen Fu on post-Taiji Walking

Post by mls_72 »

I recall reading something about Yang Chen Fu suggesting walking after Taiji practice in the preface to one of his books. Does anyone have a copy of that translation somewhere I can read it?

thanks- matt
Louis Swaim

Re: Yang Chen Fu on post-Taiji Walking

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Matt,

Yang Chengfu made the statement in his Introduction to Taijiquan Tiyong Quan Shu: "When you have completed practice, don’t immediately sit down. You should walk around a bit in order to regulate the qi and the blood." (p. 13 of my translation, The Essence and Applications of Taijiquan)

--Louis
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

Thank You Louis for prompt response.

I guess it was not a substantial amount of walking? The reason being is that I have really felt some intense conditioning with recent long distance walking training (about 4 to 5 miles) after reading this from a Taiiji and boxing coach- http://pluguglysboxingblog.blogspot.com ... ining.html
(i dont plan on any bare knuckle boxing anytime soon- LOL.

The result is similar to have done about an hour of Taijiquan or Standing gong. Strong and heavy feeling in legs and body from just walking.
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Matt,

The reference isn't to an extended walk, but to a bit of "strolling about" to allow the circulation effects of form practice to continue. Yang Zhenduo, I recall, prescribed this at the close of every course of form practice as sort of a cool down before the next round.

--Louis