physical development

emjim

physical development

Post by emjim »

Greetings everyone,

For just over 2 years I have been practicing the form daily in the mornings. One of the reasons I aim to do it every day is so that I can gauge my progress better. I feel I am improving, slowly.

I have observed various physical effects, noting most of them down. Please ask if you'd like to know what I've experienced.

I would like to know from those practitioners among you what you know about the effects Tai chi has on the body over different periods of time: 2 years, 5 years, 10, 15 etc. What have been your experiences?

Many thanks, Jim
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Greetings Jim,

At the end of August I will complete 4 years of never missing a single day of practice. (I have averaged over three sets per day, though many days were limited to a single set due to having the flu, etc.)

I keep a Tai Chi 'diary' in which I note each set, and a running total. (5,567 sets to date.) Of course, quality over quantity is the by-word, but quantity can be useful in the longrun, too.

Never missing a day is really nothing more than a mind-game I play with myself. It helps with my self motivation. But I do feel that daily pratice is important. I have noticed a progressive strengthening of my body over that time. Former back problems have disappeared. Now, at age 56, I can honestly say I am in much better shape than four years ago. I notice a marked increase in core (torso) strength, leg strength, and, surprisingly, in arm strength as well. Of course, flexibility is improved also.

Peace,
Larry

[This message has been edited by LarryC (edited 08-03-2004).]